Tuesday, February 21, 2012

How the Years Turn

The differences between the 1855 and the 1860 version of Leaves of Grass was surprising. Amazing what can happen in five years, yeah?

The main difference I noticed was also the most obvious: The difference in the physical structure of the poem. For whatever reason, five years later having a poem almost completely left-justified wasn't cool any more, so the poem appears more staggered. The lines themselves are different, too, with the lines beginning and ending on different words than the 1855 version. It makes the lines appear shorter, the column narrower. This might be a personal thing, but I like it better that way. First of all, I find it more visually pleasing to see a bit of movement in the words themselves. Secondly, I think there's a psychological thing with the narrower column. I think it almost makes the poem appear less daunting, as opposed to a much more full page of words. It also makes it easier for your eyes to jump from line to line, so it reads a bit smoother.

I can't help but wonder what the motivation was for that decision. Either way, quite interesting....

No comments:

Post a Comment