Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Woody Guthrie

I think there are a lot of ways that art can weave itself into politics. If nothing else, art is all about expression and interpretation, which is something that is certainly shared with politics. With Guthrie and Whitman, they explore the idea of equality simply through the way they share their craft. Because neither is exclusive with their art, anyone can read/ listen to their work and experience it. It's a level playing field in a way. And I personally have never found much of a difference between music and poetry. I have always believed that music is just poetry with melody.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting point about politics having expression and interpretation in common with art; I don't think I've ever really thought of it that way, but it has merit. Which do you think is more effective (assuming that could be measured well) in influencing people, politics or art?

    ReplyDelete